September 14, 2021 – RECRUITMENT FOR BUILDING CARETAKER (LIVE-IN)
Welton Towers provides affordable housing for the independent senior. We are proud to be owned and operated by Mission and District Senior Citizens Housing Association, a nonprofit society that provides residential accommodation and incidental facilities exclusively for senior citizens 55 and over, primarily of low or modest income.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Building Caretaker (Live-In) creates a well-kept and safe residential environment by cleaning and maintaining in good working order the physical assets of each building managed by the Association.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain the order and appearance of common and public areas to acceptable standards set by Association policies and checklists.
- Walk through the entire building at the beginning of the shift and prior to the end of the shift to detect and report any questionable activity that contravenes the Tenancy Agreement, House Rules, Security, and fire safety items.
- Perform prompt minor repairs and preventative maintenance including, but not limited to; changing tap washers/inserts, light bulbs (exterior and interior), stove elements, adjusting window closers, adjusting door closers, toilet handles, flappers, and fill valves.
- Perform outside work including, but not limited to; sweeping and blowing leaves from sidewalks and driveways, removal of papers, garbage and other non-garden debris, salting of sidewalks and driveways, snow removal, ensuring safe entry/exit.
- Maintain the on-site office; keep a daily journal of work performed, stocking proper supplies and forms.
- Inspect/clean security camera equipment daily and review footage in response to incidents.
- Maintain inventories and order necessary supplies as directed.
- Maintain the building tools and keep in good working order.
- Maintain registry for key allocation, house rules, laundry schedules, parking space allocations, garden plot allocations, storage lockers, building fire safety plans and any other allocations that may be required.
- Assist with laundry room equipment maintenance by ensuring that the room is kept clean, and that needed repairs are reported to head office.
- Perform and record monthly testing and maintenance of the fire alarm, emergency lighting equipment, and emergency generators.
- Inform the office staff of any deficiencies reported by tenants.
- Monitor condition of exhaust fans, doors, pumps, boilers, fire sprinkler system, heating and ventilating systems, daily.
- With Maintenance staff or designate, perform annual suite inspections to identify items requiring repair or replacement, and suites not maintained to health or safety standards.
- Respond promptly to emergency calls and tenant generated Incident Reports, taking appropriate action and answering/responding or notifying appropriate authorities of emergencies.
- Establish an awareness of the well-being of the Association’s tenants.
- Follow procedures for appropriate pick-up of garbage and junk removal.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- The ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with maintenance staff, office staff, contractors and tenants.
- The ability to respond to issues with diplomacy and tact while communicating in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to de-escalate situations to communicate respectfully and problem-solve with tenants
- Knowledge of the Residential Tenancy Act and privacy and protection legislation.
- The ability to set priorities and handle a number of different issues at one time while maintaining safety and efficiency.
- The ability to keep accurate records and complete standardized forms in writing and on a computer.
- Knowledge of electrical, elevator, boiler, fire panel, mechanical systems, emergency back-up generator, irrigation sprinkler and timer systems.
- Physical ability to independently lift up to fifty (50) pounds required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience cleaning multi-unit residential buildings.
- Experience dealing with tenant issues and/or customer service.
- Experience keeping records and completing standardized forms.
- Experience conducting minor and routine maintenance using basic hand tools and cleaning equipment preferably in multi-unit residential buildings.
- Experience as a Live-In, onsite Caretaker.
- Work is carried out in all buildings owned by Greater Victoria Housing Society.
- Physically demanding work environment; 80% physical work, 20% administrative work.
- Frequent lifting and moving of equipment, furniture, and appliances.
- Exposure to needle and drug paraphernalia, natural death of residents and potential health hazards (personal protective equipment available).
- Interact with tenants demanding resolution to maintenance problems or problems with other tenants.
Provision of own vehicle required
Reference ID: WELTON CARE TAKER 2021
Application deadline: 2021-10-04
Expected start date: 2021-10-30
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $3,107.42 per month
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Night shift
- On call
Job seekers must have proof of two (2) Covid-19 vaccinations, and comply with current MOH directives.
Please send your resume and expression of interest to Tia A. Everitt, Executive Director at email@example.com
APPLICATION CLOSE = 1 OCTOBER 2021.
August 23, 2021 – ONGOING RECRUITMENT FOR ASSISTED LIVING WORKERS
The Cedars is currently seeking qualified Assisted Living Workers (ALW) for casual-on-call roles. The ALW will provide basic personal care and medication administration, in compliance with Assisted Living and Independent Living regulatory bodies. ALWs are employed in the Assisted Living segment of our home, under the supervision of the LPN and supervision of the Executive Director of the Cedars or their designate. ALW will participate in social and activity programs, while maintaining a clean tidy and home-like atmosphere.
- Completion of Resident Care Attendant program or equivalent
- Assisted Living Medication Course (VCC or equivalent training)
- Current registration with BC Care Aid and Community Health Worker Registry
- Current First Aid/CPR
- Basic computer skills
- Related experience working with seniors
- Evidence of good physical health, and capacity to handle demands of the job
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in written and oral English
- Ability to follow and understand directions
- Ability to demonstrate care, genuine empathy and patience while interacting with tenants, their families and friends
- Portray a high standard of personal hygiene and grooming
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously within the team concept, willing to perform repetitive/routine tasks, and work cohesively with peers in other departments
- Comfortable and able providing intimate care professionally
- Be an active participant in employee performance evaluations
- Able to demonstrate evidence of Covid-19 vaccination completion, and required daily screening compliance
Starting rate $23.27/h.
Application directions: Please apply via email in confidence to:
MARIA LITJENS, LPN at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not apply via Facebook.